Sunday, January 4, 2015

Winded ...

... seems the best word to describe my feelings coming out of the holiday season this year. Coping and adjusting to some new realities, and feeling a bit, well, winded. In the meantime,

Onward ...

I spent a lovely Christmas at one of my few surviving Aunts. She's 92 years old and I hadn't seen her in decades. She's my aunt through marriage, having married one of my father's brothers. She helped one of her daughters cook a lovely meal; several of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren were there too. I brought her one of the shawls I knit this autumn. She looks lovely in it:


Looking back on it, it really was a lovely day.

New Years was good for me for very personal reasons. I've continued my inward journey since my psychotherapy ended some years ago. The search for answers has not lapsed, and some of you will know by now that my search involves music making, body awareness, and what Thich Nhat Hanh calls "observation meditation". In truth, I work pretty hard at it, and in earnest. New Years morning delivered an answer to a problem going back more than 50 years. It left me feeling euphoric all day. The journey and the breakthroughs continue. Happy.

An unexpected development over the weekend. A quilting acquaintance of mine wrote and asked if I'd be interested in taking her tamed lovebird. She has recently acquired a new puppy and it's apparently a bit too aggressive for little Ciello. How could I refuse? For the second time in my life I'm caring for a sweet, charming, friendly, tame little bird. He's been perched on my shoulder almost the entire day today. His wings were clipped (not a practice I condone, by the way) so he needs quite a bit of attention until his feathers grow in again. I hope to eventually introduce him to the "flock", when he can fly again.
Ciello:


Since I can't place him in the bird room right now I've had to turn the heat up. For the next little while I'll enjoy it at 68 in here. Up to now, 62 has been suiting me quite well. Work at the piano and cello usually keep me feeling comfortable at that temp.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had the opportunity to spend some time with lovely and loving family members at Christmas! Your aunt looks great in that shawl.

    ReplyDelete