Sunday, July 27, 2014

A beautiful, sunny day ...

Yesterday. Today it's raining some honest to goodness showers. It is calming to listen to and it's refreshing to smell the earth cleansing itself. The rain brings balance to yesterday's high.

Getting high on the beauty, high in the White Mountains yesterday. It was all an impromptu trip; I did not know I was going to end up in Littleton when I ventured out to my favorite antique shop, Barntiques in Wentworth early yesterday afternoon. (I picked up an old lawn trimmer.)

My intention was to poke around antique and junk stores for an hour or so. It seemed only logical, upon leaving Barntiques, to drive just a few miles up the road to Warren to see what I could find. Warren is situated in the shadow of Mt. Moosilauke, the tallest peak in the south-western corner of the White Mountains.

I stopped at a interesting pizza place in Warren. It was decorated with all sorts of fascinating "objets d'art"--found objects that were re-purposed into fun fixtures and wall art. A few pictures below. Nice, if unusual, lunch and I made an important discovery quite by chance. To go with my pizza I ordered a small garden salad with honey-mustard dressing. To my surprise and puzzlement the dressing was nothing more than honey-mustard spread that one normally uses on ham sandwiches and such. It really didn't work too well as dressing for a salad: Much too thick and overpowering. Since I couldn't eat it all, my doggie bag ended up containing a small bin of this "dressing", and when I went for the leftovers last night it occurred to me that the honey-mustard could make a good dressing if mixed with olive oil and white wine vinegar. And it does! I used about 2 tablespoons of oil, probably around 2 teaspoons of vinegar, and a half teaspoon or more of the spread. The dressing was fabulous! A new recipe added to my repertoire!

With a sated appetite and the idea that I'd venture on just a little further, I turned off on the Warren-to-Woodstock road. The sign indicated Littleton and Franconia were x and x miles away. Why not? It was a gorgeous day and not that far. The viewing at one spot was spectacular and most of the pics below were taken there. I met up with I-93 in Lincoln and the sign indicated Littleton: 22 miles. Once again, why not? The yarn store where I purchased the Noro for the sakiori is in Littleton and I could use another skein just to make sure I don't run out. I discovered when I got there that the yarn store was closed--for a wedding! No matter, it was a lovely trip and a perfect day to see some mountains.




2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, the last photo needs to be made into a poster for wall hanging ... it's breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete